Last week was our Elevator Pitch.
At our first meeting for the pitch, we quickly broke down what was expected of us and started to distribute the workload. We realized that the most efficient way to spread the work was to assign each person one section of the pitch. As a group of four, that meant someone would have to take two sections. We decided that Problem and Team were the two most straightforward sections, and Nojoud was kind enough to volunteer to take on both.
From that point, as a group we went from section to section and discussed what we wanted to say for each one. This was a relatively simple process, but it ensured all of us were on the same page when it came to doing the individual work for that section. Show + Tell was definitely the most tricky section to decide on a direction because, to that point, we hadn’t given a lot of thought to the physical layout of the product.
At the end of that planning meeting, we decided we would finish the sections individually and then meet up a few days later to iron out some details, make sure the slides looked good, and then run through the presentation a couple times to practice our flow. In between the two meetings though, we were in constant communication over Facebook Messenger about how our slides would be designed. Dani took the lead on creating a Google Slide deck and picking a theme, and then we all added to our sections from there.
At the last meeting before the presentation, we decided to finalize the name of our product. I was in favour of the name “Homeroom” and Dani/Nojoud were voting for “Breaker”. Michelle was okay with both ideas. We had a back and forth discussion where we all presented our views and we eventually settled on “Homeroom”. After that, we finalized our slides and practiced presenting a couple of times. There was one hiccup/miscommunication where I had designed a mock-up of our product for web when the others in the group thought I was going to do an app wireframe.
For the presentation itself, we all felt it went pretty seamlessly. The class, and Asmaa, offered some valuable suggestions like integrating different learning styles and levels of ability into the product.